Thursday, June 28, 2007

Prez Says: Maintaining Good Relationships

The Prez Says… Last week I received an e-mail at work with the subject line screaming in capital letters, “YOU ARE DELINQUENT!” The manager who sent it wrote the entire message in caps, saying that “high level administrators” knew that my mandatory training requirement wasn’t done, that there had been repeated messages to do it, and that it had to be done by 5 p.m. or there would be “consequences.” I was out of the office that day, and replied that I had completed the requirement a month earlier, and that I had a full day of appointments and obligations. I said that if I could access the training site remotely I would redo it that day, but if not, I’d redo it the next morning before 8 a.m. The manager replied that getting this job task done took precedent over anything else I had to do in my life. I was offended, angry and upset for the next 2 days about being treated so insensitively. Ironically, the training topic was about restraint and seclusion of patients, which isn’t even applicable in my adult outpatient clinic setting. There was no quiz involved, just acknowledgment that the policy had been read. It was ultimately confirmed that I had completed the requirement over a month earlier, but an IT systems error hadn’t registered my completion.

I believe that there is no job task at work that is more important than the relationship between the supervisor and employee. It is essential that employees know that they are respected, cared about, and valued. Even difficult situations can be effectively resolved when approached with the goal of maintaining the relationship. When I have a boss (or leader) who is genuine regarding having a good relationship, I am more motivated.

Isn’t this true in all areas of life? There is no task, possession, or checklist that is more important than maintaining a good relationship with our family and others. Our greatest impact is in our personal relationships. We need to pay attention and listen carefully to those we supervise (or serve) as well as to those who supervise (and serve) us. We are to “increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men,” (1 Thess.3:12) and “be willing to communicate.” (1 Tim. 6:18)

This week I spoke with my manager and shared my thoughts about relationships being more important than job tasks. She has been a manager for only a year, and had never thought about this. She thanked me, said that she’d never send another e-mail like the offending one, and asked if I would be willing to meet with her periodically to discuss leadership principles. I agreed. I can share a lot about leadership principles—I learned them from my church leaders as they have taught and lived gospel principles.

No comments: