Sunday, August 26, 2007

Prez Says: Do Not Fear

      The Prez Says… I spoke with someone this week who went into great detail about how many things he fears. He is afraid of his wife and mother dying, afraid of terrorist attacks, afraid that strangers who walk in his neighborhood may be criminals who will rob him, afraid of failing as he begins a new career, afraid that his home is losing value due to the declining economy, and his list went on and on. As I listened, I reflected on how blessed I am to have the assurance and peace that the gospel brings. The Savior promises, “If this generation harden not their hearts, I will establish my church among them…Therefore, whosoever belongeth to my church need not fear, for such shall inherit the kingdom of heaven.” (D&C 10:53:55)

      Who hasn’t felt fear at times? Fear being made fun of, fear of failure, fear of the unknown, or of the present or future. Fear can hold us hostage, and comes from the adversary. “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (2 Tim. 1:7) Fear is the antithesis of faith. Being a member of the church isn’t insurance against bad or frightening things happening in our lives, but the gospel is a resource for us as we face the challenges of mortal life. We are never left alone or defenseless because we possess the gift of the Holy Ghost, who dispels all fear and brings peace to our hearts. The greatest security of all is promised in D&C 68:6, “Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you.”

No comments: